Monday, March 14, 2011

Alli's Internship

Sorry for being a little behind but recently at my internship I had to experience a two year old passing away. This was very unexpected and something I never thought I would have to deal with during my internship. I have experienced people in the geriatric population passing away but that was different for me because they were older and some of them knew that it was their time to go. This on the other hand was not like that he was only two years old. His family came today and picked up his stuff from his room. He had been at the facility since he was nine months. It was very emotional for me, I can't even explain it. He was the second resident I met the very first day of my internship and I will never forget the way he looked at me with his big beautiful eyes and smiled right at me. I have to say that this was definitely something that I will never forget and I am glad in a way that I got to experience this as an intern because it better prepares me for what my future will hold as a recreational therapist. I feel like it's a stepping stone in my journey to becoming a recreational therapist and it's true that you learn more than you could ever imagine during your internship.
Wednesday I will be doing my last session of the TTAP Method which make me both excited and nervous. I can't believe I am in the home stretch! More to come on Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment