Monday, January 24, 2011

Alli's Internship Day 16

Today I was expecting to be the geriatrics but and I was for a little while in the morning for an hour or so. We had a coffee social and did group discussion and interaction. Since the Superbowl is coming up we talk a lot about last nights games and who wanted who to win. Then I was called down to first floor pediatrics and those are the really young children and spent the rest of my time with them. We did mat play, which is when you lay the child on the mat if they are too young to move around on their own but otherwise it is playing with the child on the mat in a safe manner. The kids love to run around on the mat but most of them can only be off their feeding for fifteen minutes tops. After that we cleaned up everything and got the kids back in their chairs and then did an art project. They got to color fishes and they plan to hang them in their own rooms. Ringworm seems to be going around but if you take all the precautions you should be fine. As a therapist my supervisor says that you have to be careful because many things go around and you have to protect yourself from it especially if you are seeing different residents on different floors. Now since I have started school my schedule has changed and so have my hours. That is also another thing about being a therapist is that you have to be flexible! So tomorrow I believe I am on the second floor so we will see what tomorrow brings, so far so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment