Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Alli's Internship Day 8

Today I worked with the geriatrics population. First they have wake up && coffee time. They get a chance to come in socialize watch the news and have their coffee and a few snacks. Then I did a morning basketball group along with a Wii Sports group. The recreation department wants everyone to get a chance to see if the Wii is something that interest all populations and today was the first time they tried it with them and they liked it. The Wii Sports were hard for some to play because you have to remember that they have disabilities and many do not have use of their hands but when is came to the Just Dance Wii Game they loved it and were so good at it. They really enjoyed it and got a competition going. The basketball is always successful with them because they can still play from their wheelchairs. Before I knew it, it was lunch time. After we did a sensory group with the young adults and did a relaxation and everyone was so relaxed. We then moved on to the older adults and played a reminiscing game. They were given pictures, I got a picture of and old car and I was asked what was the first car I ever had? Which brand was it? The color and make? so on a so fourth and then I answered and everyone around me then talked about their first car and it was very successful and everyone was interacting with one another and the memories kept on coming and coming. Today was a very good day I love working with the geriatric population, it shows the positives of what a little conversation can do and how it can bring back things you never forgot and rarely get to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment